Istanbul: 4-Hour Small Group Asian Food & Tastings Tour
From £66 per personBook now
- Explore the more laid-back, Asian side of Istanbul, and visit the bustling local food market
- Learn about foods that are native to Turkey and stop at some of the best small shops and eateries
- Sample the best of Turkey’s cuisine from homemade honey to kebabs, Turkish pizza, metze, and more
On the Asian side your group will head to the lively fish and vegetable market. Your guide will show you which foods are native to Turkey and tell you about the strange edibles you don’t recognize, such as kelek, green plums, and others.
Visit local spice stores and learn why saffron is more expensive than gold. Learn about metze, Turkey’s answer to Spanish tapas.
Your culinary adventure continues through the streets of Kadikoy. Eat like the locals, visiting the best hole-in-the-wall shops and eateries for metze, kebabs, and Turkish pizza. Sample local treats such as stuffed mussels, lentil balls, and delicious kofte.
A couple of the highlights surprise many visitors. Turkish dairy products are very popular. Try yoghurt with honey, and a selection of Turkish cheeses from raw buffalo cheese to goat’s milk cheese and smoked cheddar. You’ll get an authentic taste of Istanbul and have the option to sample some local favorites you may not have tried on your own.
Try sobiyet, a pastry of rolled baklava with cream and pistachios that epitomizes Turkish pastry traditions, while lokma are an addictive type of mini Turkish donut.
Your last stop will be for Turkish coffee at a local café and some last questions for your guide, before you board the ferry back to the European side. You are welcome to hang around if you like, however, as your ferry ticket is valid all day.
- Food tastings, including a selection of metze, kebabs, cheeses, bread, honey, desserts, and coffee
- Round-trip ferry tickets between the European and Asian sides of Istanbul
- Expert local guide
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- Gratuities (optional)
This tour meets at the Karaköy Ferry terminal (Karaköy Vapur Iskelesi), located near the Galata Bridge and Tower. At the entrance of the terminal, which looks like a bus stop on the port, there is a Caribou coffee shop. The meeting point is in front of the shop. (Note that this is not the Karaköy cruise port terminal which is nearby.) Directions: From the Old Town (Sultanahmet area): Take the tram in the direction of Kabatas, and get off at the Karaköy stop. From here it is a 7-minute walk to the ferry stop. From the cruise port: You can walk south to the Karaköy ferry stop or you can take a tram in the direction of Bağcılar and get off at the Karaköy stop. From there it is a 7-minute walk to the ferry stop. From Taksim Square: Take the funicular (TRY 4) to Kabataş and then walk to the port or take the tram to Karaköy. From there it is a 7-minute walk to the ferry stop. By taxi: Simply tell the driver you would like to go to the Karaköy ferry port.
• As this tour includes lunch the tour operator requires notification, immediately after booking, of any food allergies or dietary requirements. Please remind your guide of this at the start of the tour as well
• There may be some variations to the itinerary during Ramadan, as the butcher shop could be closed, for example. The other shops and stalls should not be affected
• Unfortunately the tour operator is unable to accommodate wheelchair users and anyone with walking disabilities on this tour. The tour operator is also unable to accommodate those with strollers
• It is recommended that you wear comfortable shoes for this walking tour
• This is a small group tour with a maximum of 12 participants
Product ID: 53603