Be welcomed by large scale paddy fields as you enter the small fishing village of Kuala Kurau, well-known for its warm hospitality.
What to Expect
Kuala Kurau is a small fishing village close to the Pacific Ocean and an hour drive away from Penang. Most of the villagers are fisherman and some of them run their own small family businesses. The people here are well-known for welcoming visitors with warm hospitality. A lay back town, you'll have the chance to see large scale paddy fields on your left and right when you enter to the village. Local people living here are used to leaving their front doors unlocked so you may have a chance to visit a local family or some traditional Malay houses too.
Different types of wood will give different flavors to your BBQ meats. In Malaysia, mangrove is used for making charcoal, a common tree found in swamps, especially at the mouth of the rivers. Learn how to transform mangrove to charcoal from the local charcoal factory. In the evening, witness one of nature’s many marvels while on a romantic sunset boat ride towards the river mouth of Sungai Kerian. It is also at this moment that romance begins as the fireflies of Sungai Kerian glow in a symphony of lights as they try to attract their mates. The iconic fireflies have also been lauded as a must-see tourist attraction while you are here.
- English / Mandarin-speaking driver
- Entrance fee
- Boat ride to see the fireflies
- Tour guide
What's Not Included
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- Food and drink
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Child rates from 3 to 11-years-old (including 3-year-olds)
• Adult rates from 12-years-old and above
• It is summer all year round and humid so lightweight clothes in natural fibers (linen, silk, or cotton) will be most comfortable with a pair of walking shoe
• If you plan on visiting religious sites, please do cover up - absolutely no skimpy or revealing clothes and please cover your legs and shoulders
• For an added minimum of RM 40.00 per person, enjoy a famous local seafood dinner