Experience everyday life in the Mekong Delta on a full-day tour from Ho Chi Minh City. See some of the stilt houses of the delta and taste tropical fruits and local specialties, such as honey tea. Journey along the canals by rowing boat and more.
What to Expect
Depart Ho Chi Minh City and journey to the Mekong Delta of the Mekong River, the longest river in Indochina, divided into 9 tributaries within Vietnam. Often referred to as the "rice bowl" due to its 3 harvests per year, and as the "Garden of Heaven" for its rich soil and abundant fruits, vegetables and flowers, the riverbanks are laden with coconut palms, rice fields, orchards and houses built on stilts.
Journey in a small group of no more than 18 people to the city of Mỹ Tho, and marvel at the mix of Asian and European influences at the Vĩnh Tràng pagoda temple. Then, travel by motorboat to Dragon island, Unicorn island, Phoenix island and Turtle island. See the fishing port and cable-stay Rạch Miễu Bridge. Pass some of the stilt houses and look at warehouses where local boats are built.
Stop at Unicorn island for a short trek to the fruit gardens. Sample tropical fruits, natural honey tea and wine at a bee keeping farm, while listening to traditional music performed by the locals. Then transfer to a small motor boat and navigate the lush, green canals of the Mekong Delta. Stop for a Vietnamese lunch at a local restaurant, and try some Mekong specialty dishes. Then, explore the village by bike and visit a crocodile farm, rest in a hammock or contemplate how to cross a monkey bridge.
Continue by rowing boat, navigating the canals full of water-coconut trees at slow speed. Then, travel by motor boat to Bến Tre province, where a horse-drawn cart will take you to the village. Visit a hand-made coconut-candy workshop and watch how the locals make rice noodles.
Return to Mỹ Tho by motor boat, where a bus will be waiting to take you back to Ho Chi Minh City.
- Professional guide
- Hotel pick-up (from selected hotels only)
- Transportation by air-conditioned coach
- Lunch of Mekong specialty dishes
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
What's Not Included
- Food and drinks, other than the "value added offers" specified in your guidebook
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Gratuities (optional)
Know Before You Go
• Adult pricing applies to all travelers
• Children must be accompanied by an adult
• The dress code is smart casual
• A vegetarian option is available for lunch. Please advise at time of booking if required
• This experience is subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund