Travel along the Mekong and the natural network of canals by motor boat and sampan under the shadows of water coconut trees. Taste seasonal fruits right from the orchard, meet friendly locals, and visit the region’s lively floating markets.
What to Expect
Discover the idyllic rural life of the Mekong Delta on a 3-day tour that takes you by boat along the river and the region’s natural canals. Visit villages and markets and marvel at the natural wonders and wildlife.
Day 1: Ho Chi Minh – My Tho – Ben Tre – Can Tho
You’ll depart Ho Chi Minh City, enjoying the scenic journey along the National Highway bordered by green rice fields. On arrival at My Tho, visit Vinh Trang pagoda, take a leisurely boat ride along the river, and take in the views of stilt houses, fruit plantations, and fishing villages along the riverbank. At Tortoise islet you’ll stop for lunch at an orchard garden.
Next you’ll take a boat to An Khanh, a less touristy destination, enjoying a cruise by hand-rowed sampan under the shade of coconut trees along the natural canals. Enjoy seasonal fruits and honey tea to the sounds of southern Vietnamese folk music performed by locals.
Visit a family business that epitomizes the idyllic rural lifestyle, taste delicious coconut candy, and roam through the fruit plantations and villages. Proceed to Can Tho, where you’ll spend the night. Free time will be available to visit the bustling Can Tho market.
Day 2: Can Tho – Cai Rang – Chau Doc – Tra Su Cajuput Forest
Take a leisurely boat trip to explore the picturesque tributaries of the Lower Mekong and then proceed to Cai Rang floating markets (Phong Dien is optional), which are the liveliest in the region.
See how Vietnamese vermicelli soup is made and then take a walk around the village and meet the friendly locals. Experience crossing a monkey bridge, made from a single stem of bamboo. Visit an orchard garden and take a break for lunch.
From Chau Doc the tour continues to Tra Su Cajuput forest, where you’ll visit the wild bird sanctuary by small boat. Travel along the network of canals deep into the forest, watching storks ,cranes, and other tropical birds.
On the way back you’ll stop to visit Sam Mountain and the cave pagoda (time permitting). Overnight in Chau Doc.
Day 3: Chau Doc – Phnom Penh
After breakfast you’ll enjoy a boat trip through a floating village to visit a fish farm. See how the local people raise fish in their floating houses. Stop to visit the Cham minority at their traditional weaving village, and visit a local mosque.
Transfer to the pier for the final part of the journey to Phnom Penh, arriving at the Sisowath tourist dock in Phnom Penh. The boat to Phnom Penh departs from Chau Doc at 07:30.
- Transportation by air-conditioned tourist bus
- English-speaking guide
- Motor boat and row boat rides
- 2 nights’ accommodation on a twin-sharing basis (either in a hotel, hotel and homestay, or hotel and bungalow, depending on the option chosen)
- Breakfast, lunch or dinner (depending on you accommodation choice)
- Fresh fruit, honey, and tea
- Entrance fees
- Boat ticket to Phnom Penh (slow or fast boat depending on the option chosen)
What's Not Included
- Vietnamese entry visa
- Meals not mentioned as included
- Personal expenses
The tour operator's office at 183 De Tham Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
(Open in Google Maps)
Know Before You Go
• Please note, you have to pay $35 per person for the Cambodian visa and take 2 photos. Your guide on the boat will help you to apply for it at the Kaam Samnor border. You will arrive there about 14:00
• If you choose the hotel option your meals will include: lunch (1st day) and breakfast (2nd and 3rd day)
• If you choose the homestay and bungalow options your meals will include: lunch and dinner ( the 1st day ), breakfast ( the 2nd and the 3rd day)
• For all other meals that are not included you will have to pay for yourself. There are many local restaurants to choose from
• There is a single hotel room supplement of $10 payable to the tour operator before departing on the tour
• There is a single bungalow supplement of $10 payable to the tour operator before departing on the tour