Explore the highlights of Hanoi on a small-group, 4-hour tour and learn about Vietnam's history, myths, and modern-day life. Visit cultural sites such as the Ho Chi Minh Complex, House 54 where Uncle Ho lived, Quan Thanh Taoist Temple, and more.
What to Expect
Dive in to the sights, sounds, and smells of the bustling city on this Hanoi city tour, a great way to see some of the major Hanoi highlights.
Start the city tour with a visit to the Temple of Literature. Originally built in honour of Confucius by King Ly Thai Thong in 1070, a university was added to the grounds six years later. The university provided education to the royal family and children of the aristocracy or "mandarins". The University remained here until King Gia Long moved the country’s administrative capital from Hanoi to Hue at the beginning of the 19th century.
Drop in to a traditional teahouse to taste some of the best Vietnamese flavoured green teas, and listen to thousand-year-old stories explaining the significance of tea leaves to local cultures. Tea is even better when served with some authentic snacks such as sweetened lotus seeds and green bean cake.
Continuing on the Hanoi tour, you’ll head to the Hoa Lo Prison museum. Used by French Colonists for political prisoners till 1954 and later by North Vietnam for American POWs, the prison complex was sarcastically nicknamed the “Hanoi Hilton” by American pilots during Vietnam War (1954-1975). Famous ex-prisoners of war include Pete Peterson (the first US ambassador to a unified Vietnam in 1995), and US Senator John McCain.
Your next stop will be the largest and oldest church in Hanoi. St Joseph’s Cathedral was built in 1886 with an architectural style often compared to the Notre Dame de Paris, this Gothic Revival church is not only a religious site, but is also a popular photo shoot backdrop for local teenagers.
Continue to the heart of Hanoi - the Hoan Kiem Lake, with its magnificent The Huc Bridge and Ngoc Son temple. Experience the spiritual harmony of different religions coexisting in the same place. You may then continue your own exploration of the area or your tour guide will assist you in getting a taxi back to your hotel.
- English-speaking guide
- Entrance fees as indicated
What's Not Included
- Tips for guide and driver
Cancel up to 2 days in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Children must be over 6 years old to take part in this tour.
• Please note that dress standards are conservative throughout Asia, especially outside major cities. To respect this and for your own comfort, please wear modest clothing, which covers your shoulders and knees. Loose, lightweight, long clothing is both respectful and cool in the predominantly hot Asian climate.
• If you are happy with the services, providing a tip - though not compulsory - is appropriate. It is of great significance to the people who take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry.