Explore the mysterious limestone karst landscape of Ha Long Bay on a combined 3-day tour by traditional Chinese junk and bike. Take sampan ride through a mangrove forest and salt marsh, cycle along the sandy coast of Cat Ba Island, and more.
What to Expect
Explore the island-studded Ha Long Bay of Vietnam's Gulf of Tonkin to experience one of the world's most breathtaking natural wonders.
You will cruise the emerald sea by traditional Chinese boat, and cycle on one of the thousands of islands for a different perspective. See a diverse landscape of tropical rainforest, coral terraces, freshwater wetland, tidal flats and mangrove forests. Explore magical caves, enjoy fresh seafood meals, and discover secret temples and sandy beaches.
The cycling route is designed to take you off the main roads as much as possible, pedaling down scenic back roads.
Day 1: Hanoi - Ha Long Bay (36-Mile/60-Kilometer Bike Ride) (L, D)
Depart Hanoi early in the morning for a short transfer out of the city center. Once in the countryside, you can enjoy a nice and easy start to your bike tour, pedaling alongside a dyke of the Red River. Ride towards Bac Ninh, known for the 8 kings of the Ly Dynasty, and see many examples of traditional architecture and farming practices.
Stop for lunch at a local temple, before climbing back on the saddle to cycle through small villages that dot rural Vietnam. Your bike tour ends in the early afternoon with a 2.5-hour transfer to the port city of Ha Long, and an overnight stay at the Mithrin Hotel.
Day 2: Ha Long Bay - Cat Ba Island (14.5-Mile/24-Kilometer Bike Ride) (B, L, D)
Board your traditional junk (an ancient Chinese sail boat) for the start of your cruise on the emerald waters of Ha Long Bay. Relax on deck as you sail by some of the more than 2,000 spectacular limestone islands scattered throughout the bay.
Enjoy a fresh seafood lunch while on board the boat, and sail over to Cat Ba Island. Here, you will resume your bike activities, pedaling from Gia Luan pier along winding roads to Cat Ba National Park. Cycle through a valley of tropical rainforest, and listen out for the bird song of many species.
Break for a short trek to the top of Ngu Lam mountain for views of the tree-covered limestone peaks. Then, it's back on the bikes for the cycle ride to Cat Ba town, where you will stay at the Princes Hotel, enjoying views across the bay.
Day 3: Cat Ba Island - Hai Phong - Hanoi (16-Mile/27-Kilometer Bike Ride) (B, L)
Cycle along seaside trails to Phu Long village on the southwest of Cat Ba Island. Take a break whenever you see locals fishing to see what their catch is, and take a longer break at a beach to splash about in the crystal clear waters.
Once you reach Cai Vieng pier, board a sampan (a flat-bottomed Chinese-style wooden boat) to navigate the salt marsh and mangrove forests. Continue to Thien Long cave to see many stalactites and an ancient tomb, estimated to be 1,000 years old. Look for the root of a century-old tree growing on the top of the mountain.
After lunch, sail by speed boat to Hai Phong city, where your transfer back to Hanoi will be waiting.
- Bike hire
- Food and drink (water and soft drinks)
- Transfers by air-conditioned vehicle
What's Not Included
- International flights
- Tips and personal expenses
Know Before You Go
• Operator is happy to help or advise flights
• Please note that most nationalities require a visa to visit Vietnam, which can be obtained from any embassy worldwide. A tourist visa is valid for a single 30-day stay. You must specify your arrival date when applying for a visa, and it is from this date that the 30 days will be calculated. When picking up your visa, check to make sure the dates match your travel plans, and that it is stamped directly into your passport, as it will not be accepted if it is stapled in or loose. You can obtain a pre-approved entry visa online before arrival in Vietnam for a fee, however, the visa is still issued on arrival at international airports
• Recommended vaccinations are typhoid, polio, tetanus and hepatitis A. A certificate for Yellow Fever is required when arriving from an infected area within 6 days. Please speak to your doctor