Learn about the long history and varied influences that help define Vietnamese society with a tour that immerses you in the complex layers of the country's cultural mix.
What to Expect
Learn about the long history and varied influences that have defined Vietnamese society with a tour that immerses you in the complex layers of the country's cultural mix. This special backstreet experience provides a glimpse into the arts, music, and language that shaped Vietnam as it is today.
The tour kicks off with a look at ancient Chinese influence on Vietnam's language. Chinese characters formed the basis of Vietnamese writing for more than 1,000 years, until the adoption of Latin letters in the 1920s. Get an introduction to the basics of Chinese characters and the ancient art of calligraphy in a course with a local instructor.
After a light meal with rice cake and black bean dessert, you visit the quarters of the only remaining craftsmen who practice the ancient tradition of paper masks. A cherished practice among local children during festivals, this course can color up your day as you paint a mask you can call your own.
End this intimate cultural tour with a special pho dinner, giving you an authentic taste of one of Vietnam's most popular street foods.
- Guided Vietnamese cultural tour commentary provided in English
What's Not Included
- Transportation to meeting point
Know Before You Go
• You must be aged 10 or over
• Maximum group size is 8 people
• An additional surcharge of $15 for Vinh Xuan Quyen Kung Fu (martial arts class), which is only available on Wednesdays and Fridays, for an additional 2 hours, is payable on the day of your activity.
• Hotel pickup is available from most centrally located Hanoi hotels for a nominal fee, payable on the day of the activity. You can arrange pick-up when you call to confirm your reservation.
• Check-in is 15 minutes prior to the booked tour start time.
• Tours depart between 12.00 pm and 2.00pm daily. You will receive confirmation of your exact tour departure time when you call to confirm your reservation.