Come and discover the charming city of Guimarães, where Portugal was born in 1143. See a castle, a palace and idyllic houses.
What to Expect
Come and discover the charming city of Guimarães, where Portugal was born in 1143. You will delighted by the sight of the imposing and iconic Castle of Guimarães built under the orders of Mumadona Dias in the 10th century to defend the monastery from attacks by Moors and Norsemen. It's a military fortification erected primarily in the late Romanesque period, and elaborated during the early Gothic epoch of Portuguese architecture.
Near the castle is The Palace of the Dukes of Braganza and its museum, is distinctive due to its array of tall brick chimneys. It's a medieval estate and former noble residence, located in the center of Guimarães, surrounded by green space.
The medieval Santiago Square has a medieval charm. Many of its buildings dating back to the 16th-19th century have been restored. In the center of the square is a Gothic shrine with a cross. The legend is that St. James brought an image of the Virgin Mary here and placed it in a pagan temple. You will also pass beautiful houses of Santa Maria Street lined with an array of quality houses and shops, plus many other wondrous sights. All of these attractions await you on the hop-on hop-off Yellow Bus Guimarães tour.
- Yellow Bus Discount Book (Discounts on tickets to monuments, museums and leisure activities)
- 10% discount when purchasing other Yellow Bus tickets (every tour in every city)
- Discounts on tickets to monuments, museums and leisure activities
What's Not Included
- Museums/monuments entrance
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
Know Before You Go
• Ticket validity: 24 hours after validation
• Hop-on Hop-off any stop along the route, while your ticket is valid
• Present your paper voucher directly to the bus driver at any stop on the tour in exchange for a ticket