Experience the stunning religious architecture of the city of Assisi, the home of San Francesco. Take in the beauty of the Etruscan town of Cortona, where you’ll see movie sets from Under the Tuscan Sun and have a chance to enjoy panoramic area views.
What to Expect
Head out from Florence into the rolling green hills of Tuscany and Umbria to discover the architectural jewels of Assisi and Cortona.
Your 11-hour tour begins in Assisi, the home of San Francesco. Your guide will lead you along the narrow, winding streets of the medieval town as you learn about its history. Inside the Basilica of San Francesco d’Assisi you’ll admire Giotto’s frescos of the life of San Francesco and discover why this is such an important pilgrimage site.
See the interior of the Basilica of Santa Chiara, dedicated to a follower of San Francesco. Afterwards you’ll have free time for a stroll around this mystical city. Your tour will then continue with a visit to Santa Maria degli Angeli Church, the birthplace of the Franciscan Order.
Cross back into Tuscany to the town of Cortona, built by the Etruscans, and noted for its architectural wonders and panoramic views over the surrounding landscape. Cortona is also well known as the setting for the movie, Under the Tuscan Sun.
- Transportation by fully equipped GT coach
- Expert multi-lingual escort
- Assisi tour with professional guide
- Admission to the Church of San Francesco
- Admission to the Church of Santa Chiara
- Admission to the Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli
- Free visit to Cortona
- Free pick-up on request (depending on agency availability)
- Drop off in Florence
What's Not Included
- Drop off at your hotel
Piazza Adua, in front of Burger King (near Santa Maria Novella train station)
Know Before You Go
• Please note that the given order of the visits may change and that from April 1st 2016 a short stop to Passignano sul Trasimeno will be included