Travel to El Chalten for a full-day of exploring in Los Glaciares National Park. Travel through the valley of the De las Vueltas River, hike to the Lake of the Desert, and trek up to the Huemul Lagoon and Glacier. Enjoy marvelous views and a picnic lunch.
What to Expect
Travel from El Calafate to see the village of El Chalten and the Lake of the Desert on a full-day tour. Begin by heading along the famous Route 40, an iconic highway that goes along the Argentino Lake up to the La Leona River. Passing the Cañadón La Leona, arrive at the ancient hotel La Leona for a break to purchase coffee and cakes.
Continue along Lake Viedma for magical views of glaciers, hidden lakes, and the glory that is Mount Fitz Roy. After several stops for photos, you will arrive in the Andean village El Chaltan, also known as the a trekking capital. Visit the Interpretation Centre and then head out on your adventure.
You will combine a 1-hour trek with a 4x4 trip across the valley of the De las Vueltas River. Enjoy a wide panoramic view of the Andes range. The course of the river is often one of the preferred routes for condors, and if you are lucky you will be able to see them closely.
From here, visit the cascades of De Las Vueltas River and the Lake of the Desert, hidden among lush forests and a paradise of ancient trees, glaciers, and streams. Trek to the Huemul Lagoon and Glacier perched on the slopes of Mount Vespignani. The path starts at Lake of the Desert and goes up the left-hand side of a stream that is coming down from Huemul Lagoon. On the way, take in great views of the valley below and Mount Fitz Roy.
- Round-trip transportation from El Calafate hotels
- English/Spanish-speaking guide during the transfer
- Visit to El Chalten Interpretation Centre
- Tour to the valley of the De las Vueltas River and the Lake of the Desert
- Optional self-guided hike
What's Not Included
- Coffee break at La Leona
- Tips and gratuities
Know Before You Go
• The pick-up time is between 6:30 and 7:30. The exact pick-up time for your tour will be confirmed the day before the tour date at the hotel reception between 17:00 and 20:00.
• There is no penalty for cancelations up to 10 days before the tour date. From 9 days to 5 days before the tour date there is a 50% penalty. From 4 days to the tour date there is a 100% penalty.
• It is suggested that you bring hiking shoes, warm clothes, and a bottle of water.