Discover the epic beauty of El Chaltén on a 13-hour tour from El Calafete, and choose between a picnic hike to the Mount Fitz Roy mirador, or explore the picturesque village of El Chaltén at leisure before a 2-hour boat trip to stunning Viedma Glacier.
What to Expect
Depart El Calafate early in the morning for this full-day scenic sightseeing tour, heading along the famous Route 40 of the Patagonian wilderness. Journey by the side of Argentino Lake to La Leona River, passing the “Cañadón La Leona” and historic La Leona hotel, where you will break for coffee and cakes.
Back on the road, continue along Lake Viedma enjoying magical views of mighty glaciers, hidden lakes, and glorious Mount Fitz Roy. After several photos stops you will arrive at the Andean village El Chaltén, known as the “Capital of Trekking.” After a brief visit to the Interpretation Centre the group will be divided at Pudu Lodge according to each participants chosen option.
Those who choose to explore El Chaltén at leisure have a choice of fine restaurants for lunch (own expense). The trek option to Estancia Madsen (“Estancia of Mount Fitz Roy”) includes a box lunch picnic that you can enjoy en route.
Visit the estancia museum to see items belonging to the Madsen family that provide an insight into the history of the area's first settlers. Then, climb to the mirador of Mount Fitz Roy for stunning panoramic views of the cinematic sweep of the Andes mountains.
Next, head to Tunel Bay to navigate across the glacial Lake Viedma by boat. The 2-hour trip takes you right in front of the glacier to get up-close to 130-foot (40-meter) walls of ice and ice floes. Sail back to Bahia Tunel for the transfer to El Chaltén, where you will regroup for the drive back to El Calafate.
- Round-trip transportation from El Calafate hotels
- English/Spanish-speaking guide
- Visit to El Chalten Interpretation Centre
- Free time to explore El Chalten village or a self-guided hike to Estancia Madsen viewpoint of Mount Fitz Roy
- Lunch box for passengers who choose the trek option to Estancia Madsen
- 2-hour boat trip to Viedma Glacier
What's Not Included
- Coffee break at La Leona
- Lunch for passengers who choose to stay in El Chalten village
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Please note that the pick-up time is between 06:30 and 07:30. The exact pick-up time will be confirmed at your hotel reception between 17:00 and 20:00 the day before the tour
• Please wear hiking shoes and warm clothes, and bring sun block and bottled water
• No penalty for cancellations up to 16 days prior to tour date. Cancellations 15-9 days before tour date are subject to a 30% penalty. Cancellations 8 days or less prior to tour date pay the full cost