Experience a guided ice walk on one of the world’s largest continental glaciers. You’ll take in the spectacular views of Perito Moreno Glacier on a boat ride across Rico Arm, and learn about the region’s glaciology, glacial rupture, and more.
What to Expect
You’ll depart by boat from Bajo de las Sombras port for a 20-minute ride across Rico Arm, taking in the breathtaking views of the face of Perito Moreno Glacier along the way.
Disembark on the opposite shore, where a specialized bilingual mountain guide will welcome you and lead you to a small shelter. Your group (of not more than 20 persons) will follow the guide along the lake’s shore towards the edge of the glacier.
When you are on the ice your guide will assist in putting your crampons on, and explain how to use them.
The 2-hour circuit that follows introduces you to the fascinating landscape of the glaciers, including streams, small lagoons, gullies, crevasses, and plenty of intensely blue ice formations. The trekking is of moderate difficulty, with ice surfaces that are irregular, but firm and safe.
Your guide will tell you about the flora, fauna, and general glaciology of the region, and also about the particular phenomenon that occurs and eventually produces a glacier rupture.
At the end of the mini-trek, a short stroll through the forest will bring you back to the shelter.
- Round-trip transfers from El Calafate hotels
- Guided tour
- Boat trip to the glacier
- Glass of whisky or spirits at the glacier
- 1-hour visit to the glacier balconies (where you’ll be met by a guide)
What's Not Included
- National park entrance fee
- Food and beverages
Know Before You Go
Note that the mini-trek operates daily from the beginning of August to the first days of June. The complete tour with transportation from El Calafate takes around 10 hours.
What to bring:
• sport shoes or trekking boots (rubber and apres ski boots, and high-heeled shoes are not allowed)
• comfortable sportswear, long trousers, warm sweater or pile, waterproof or windproof jacket, sun glasses, sunblock, gloves
• a boxed lunch
• Due to the degree of effort and difficulty that this excursion presents, pregnant women, people who are overweight, and those who have disabilities or health problems are not permitted on the tour.
• Participants must be between 10 and 65 years old.