Enter the Old Library at Trinity College Dublin to see the illuminated manuscript of the Book of Kells. Learn about its dense symbolism and rich ornamentation. Then, explore the grounds and gardens of Dublin Castle, former seat of British rule in Ireland.
What to Expect
Discover the “most precious object in the western world,” according to the 1007 Annals of Ulster, on a cultural tour of the Book of Kells at Trinity College Dublin. Then, wander around the gardens of Dublin Castle
Meet your guide at the main entrance to Trinity College, and marvel at the rich ornamentation and dense symbolism of the Book of Kells, an illuminated manuscript of the Gospel that dates back to around 800 AD. Admire one of the finest examples of medieval illumination.
Next, visit Ireland’s only official statue of Molly Malone in Grafton Street. Continue to Powerscourt Townhouse Centre, an 18th-century townhouse that has been converted into a boutique shopping center. End at Dublin Castle off Dame Street.
The site of a castle since the days of King John, most of the castle still standing dates from the 18th century. Explore the Georgian courtyard, and see the only remaining section of the medieval castle at the Round Tower.
- Entrance ticket to the Book of Kells at Trinity College Library
Know Before You Go
• This tour involves walking, so please wear comfortable shoes
• Changes requested up to 72 hours before the confirmed tour departure time are subject to availability and a rebooking fee of USD 25 per person. Changes requested less than 72 hours before the tour departure time are not permitted. Where cancellations are permitted, a 20% fee of the booking amount applies
• All participants should be in good health. The supplier encourages the participation of disabled customers, though some itineraries and sites are not accessible by wheelchair or motorized scooter. Due to narrow sidewalks, traffic, and seasonal weather conditions, no guarantee can be given that all footpaths/curbs will have ADA/EU compliant ramps
• This tour cannot accommodate strollers or baby carriages