Explore the indigenous communities of San Juan Chamula and Zinacantan on a 5-hour cultural tour of the Chiapas region, and wander around artisan markets. Peek inside beautifully preserved churches and learn about ancient Mayan traditions.
What to Expect
Learn about the indigenous communities of the state of Chiapas on a 5-hour cultural tour of San Juan Chamula and Zinacantan. A local guide will explain the history of the region, famous for its blend of Mayan beliefs and Catholicism.
Go to the Church of San Juan Bautista (St. John the Baptist) to admire the beautiful façade and peek inside at the arrangement of altars, where the Catholic saints are dressed according to indigenous customs. Learn about the native people and their traditions, and how ancient Mayan beliefs intertwine with modern day Catholic practices.
Continue to Zinacantan, near San Cristobal de las Casas, and visit the Church of San Lorenzo (St. Lawrence). Watch the laborious handicrafts of the weaver women, who, with a loom at their waists, produce magnificent textile pieces, including tablecloths, bedspreads, cushion covers and traditional huipiles (ponchos).
- Round-trip transportation
- Entrance fees
- Spanish or English-speaking guide
- Visit to Chamula
- Visit to a local community in Zinacantan
- Local liquor and mini lunch of beans, quesadillas and organic coffee
What's Not Included
- Additional food
- Tips (optional)
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Please be respectful of the local people as they are usually very shy and don't like having their picture taken. Ask politely or have your guide ask for you