Ride single trails in Chiangdao Valley leading to various hill-tribe villages and cycle rural roads through Thai traditional countryside. Stop at Buddhist Temples, explore the caves and spend the night in a simple Lodge in the valley.
What to Expect
Day 1 – Ride the Chiangdao Valley to Chiangdao caves
In the morning, meet your guide at your Chiang Mai hotel. Set off on the highway 107 direction North, to reach the Chiangdao valley. The distance is 85 km and transfer time is approximately 1 1/2 hour. Arrive at the Padeng Lodge, your activity base for the day. Upon arrival tea or coffee is served while you fit the bikes with assistance of your staff. Start cycling on a paved road, with a small hill, leading to a Karen hill tribe village. After a break, ride back a short distance before cutting through a scenic dirt trail back to Lodge for lunch. (Approx. 12 km loop). In the afternoon, cycle to the Chiangdao caves. Starting on single trails in the forest (8 km+) with a great downhill section, you arrive at a village. Continue cycling on little used rural roads through scenic countryside, stopping at a local market and a temple. You finally reach your destination, the Chiangdao Caves, which you can explore and take a short break and explore (as per timing). For the return journey, experienced riders will cycle a different route back to the Lodge. It is also possible to transfer by vehicle back to the Padeng Lodge for others. Total distance can vary from 25 km to 50km. Arrive back to the Lodge for a good shower and some relaxing time. Overnight and dinner at the Lodge.
Day 2 – Cycling the hills of Chiangdao and back to Chiang Mai
After a filling continental breakfast at the Lodge, you will cycle a variety of single trails and jeep tracks leading to various villages. Great trails through bamboo forest and jungle with partial views of the imposing Doi Luang Chiangdao in the background. Some steep up hills sections! Eventually reach a small stream where you can relax and refresh. Then you will have your pack lunch at a local temple. Afternoon, you follow a paved road returning to the Lodge. Total distance today is approximately 40 km riding. Change and shower or relax at the lodge, before a vehicle transfer back to Chiang Mai (1 1/2 hour). Drop off at your hotel in Chiang Mai in the late afternoon.
- Tour program and excursion as per itinerary
- Transportation by private vehicle from Chiangmai to Chiangdao and return
- Partial vehicle support when cycling (no support in single trails or wet/muddy trails)
- Experienced English speaking cycling tour guide
- Sturdy mountain-bike model TREK 4300, with 24 speed
- Meals: 2 lunch, 1 dinner (Thai food), 1 continental breakfast
- 1 night at Padeng Lodge in twin share room with fan and hot shower
- Chiangdao Caves entrance fees
What's Not Included
- Tips or gratuities
- Optional tours/visits
- Personal expenses
- Meals other than those mentioned
Know Before You Go
• This tour is for experienced riders, as you are riding single trails with steep short hills and descents. The cycling distance can vary but we can ride up to 50 kms per day.
• Participants must have a good physical condition
• Not suitable for people with no or little cycling experience