Crete: Natural Treasures with Wine & Olive Oil TastingsProduct ID: 72703
From £98 per personBook now
- Discover how a local group is working to make businesses on Crete more sustainable
- Experience Cretan culture through its unique flavors and local treasures
- Learn about Greece’s “liquid gold” (olive oil) while tasting different samples
- Participate in a scavenger hunt around the grounds and search for local herbs used in foods and medicines
- Try five different local wine varietals while enjoying organic cheese and meat
- See 30% of your tour costs support small-scale rural businesses in local communities
Located at Drapanos Cape, Drapanos village will be your stomping ground as you get acquainted with the treasures of Crete. Drapanos is a small, traditional village, high up on the cape, in the Apokoronas region in Chania. On your way, you’ll get to admire the beautiful coast on one side and the rugged White Mountains on the other.
Once you arrive, you’ll learn all about the flora of the area, and how local products are used. Crete is home to a rich variety of plant life, including some 1,893 documented plant species of which 159 are endemic to the island. Sustainability is not a new term to Cretans. The Cretan population has long lived in harmony with the environment, using resources responsibly — and you are going to learn more about it at the European Sustainability Academy. This center provides training and development programs for businesses to learn sustainable practices and corporate social responsibility. Here you have the chance to chat about alternative sustainable ideas that you can apply to your everyday lives — straight from those who are experts in the field!
You’ll get to walk around the grounds and see, feel, smell, touch, and taste all the richness of this ancient land, and learn how local resources are used in everything from food to medicine. You’ll even participate in a scavenger hunt and trace the herbs around the venue. But wait! With all that talk of fresh ingredients, you’re going to want to taste some of the goods, right? Chat with a knowledgeable sommelier who will teach you the basics of wine tasting, before you dive deeper into exploring the local varieties — with a glass in your hand, of course. As well, honor that world-famous Cretan diet with a lesson in the health benefits of organic olive oil, and a few insider tips on how you can distinguish a good olive oil from a not-so-great version. You pair all that with a few dishes, all starring local ingredients that will tantalize your senses! Upon leaving the academy, you’ll have a much richer understanding of Cretan culture, while also having helped small rural businesses to thrive.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Transportation to/from the venue
- 5 different wine tastings
- Olive oil tasting, finger foods, fresh orange juice for children
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs or personal shopping
- Tips/gratuities for your driver and guide
Chania Municipal Market (the public market is located at the centre of the city, on Central Market Square). Your guide will be standing outside, on the left. (Open in Google Maps)
• This is a child-friendly tour.
• For your tour you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Product ID: 72703