Cebu and Mactan: Twin City Culture and History Half-Day TourProduct ID: 4413
From £81 per personBook now
- See Cebu's iconic Magellan's Cross
- Admire the historic Basilica Minore in Cebu and the Church of our Lady of the Rule in Mactan
- Visit Fort San Pedro in Cebu, the oldest Spanish fort in the Philippines
- Explore Spanish and Filipino culture at 2 museums in Cebu City–Museo sa Sugba and Casa Gorordo
- Find out how Philippine guitars are made at a guitar factory in Mactan
- Imagine Magellan defeated by Mactan chief Lapu Lapu at the Liberty Shrine
The tour then proceeds to the Basilica Minore of the Child Jesus, home of the image of Jesus as a Child, a gift from Magellan to Queen Juana, the first Christian Filipina. Fort San Pedro is the next stop on the tour. A coral stone fortress originating from 1565, the fort protected the city that became the first Spanish settlement in Asia. The impressive structure is the oldest Spanish fort in the Philippines.
Then you'll drive down the country’s oldest street, Colon Street, to Plaza Parian. Here you'll enjoy a short stop at Casa Gorordo, a museum showcasing the elegant lifestyle of the 18th–century Spanish/Filipino elite. A visit to Museo sa Sugbu completes the tour of the Cebu City’s heritage sites.
Cross over to Mactan Island passing through the industrial city of Mandaue, where many world-class furniture factories are found. The first stop in Mactan is the Church of our Lady of the Rule. Many of this national shrine's visitors believe that Mactan’s economic success comes from the Church's namesake.
Next you'll visit a guitar factory to see how renowned Philippine guitars are made. Your final stop is the Liberty Shrine, on the battleground where Magellan was defeated by Mactan chieftain, Datu Lapu-Lapu. Today a larger–than–life statue of Lapu-Lapu towers over mangrove trees and the battlefield.
- Hotel Pick-up/Drop-off from/to Cebu City Hotels and Mactan Island Resorts
- Tour guide
- Entrance & admission fees
Mactan Island Resorts: pick-up from Plantation Bay, Maribago Bluewater Beach Resort, Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, Tambuli East, Tambuli West, Shangri-la's Mactan Island Resort & Spa, Hilton Cebu Resort & Spa. Cebu City Hotels, pick-up from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu, Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino, Montebello Villa Hotel, Cebu Parklane Hotel, Cebu City Marriott (Open in Google Maps)
Product ID: 4413