Discover palaces and churches made of lava stone on a 4-hour sightseeing tour of the volcanic city of Catania. The half-day guided tour explores the Sicilian city’s highlights, from the churches of Via dei Crociferi to the Roman treasures of Etna.
What to Expect
Explore the 2nd largest city in Sicily on a half-day guided tour of Catania, starting from the magnificent Piazza Duomo, home to the city’s symbolic elephant statue and Egyptian obelisk.
Continue along Via Vittorio Emanuele to admire the Abbey of St. Agatha. See one of Italy’s most beautiful churches in Piazza San Placido, as well as Teatro Massimo, dedicated to the famous musician Bellini. Stroll between the ancient buildings of Via Sangiuliano to see the city’s finest collection of churches on Via dei Crociferi.
Next, go down Via Teatro Greco to see the remains of the Roman Theater, built on the ruins of an ancient Greek Theater and Odeon. An easy ascent leads you to Piazza Dante, site of the 2nd largest Benedictine monastery in Europe and the 2nd oldest Italian university after Bologna.
En route back to Piazza Duomo, stop at Castel Ursino to admire the fortress that Frederick II had constructed in the sea. Wander under the porticoes of Piazza Mazzini, and pass the lively, souk-like Pescheria fish market.
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
What's Not Included
- Food and drinks
- Entrance fees
- Tips and personal expenses
Know Before You Go
• Please wear comfortable shoes and light clothing
• Professional guide service is available in Italian, English, French, German and Polish. If the requested language cannot be confirmed, the tour will be offered in another language (usually English)
• If the tour or language cannot be confirmed your payment can be refunded
• Please contact the local supplier after booking to arrange for the exact pick-up time based on the location of your hotel