Spend a day exploring the natural environment of the northern area of Etna, the largest volcano in Europe. On this 4x4 tour you’ll see old and new lava fields, hornitos, and natural forests. Enter the lava caves with a torch to see inside the volcano!
What to Expect
This full-day excursion takes you to the northern side of Mount Etna, where you’ll experience this volcano that’s almost constantly active with frequent, short eruptions.
Climb off-road on the ancient lava flows of the eastern side of the volcano, up to Monte Fontana. From here, you’ll go on a light trek to admire the Valle del Bove, a huge natural depression about 20 kilometers wide, where most of Etna’s lava flows during eruptions.
The natural balcony overlooks a wall of about 150 meters, providing breathtaking views that have been compared to those in the Grand Canyon in the U.S.
Continue with this unforgettable experience by exploring the lava caves. With helmets and torches you’ll enter inside the volcano, through a cave scroll, a natural tunnel that the lava leaves perfectly smooth at the end of an eruption.
Back in the car, and following along the curves of the volcano, you’ll reach the ski station of Piano Provenzana. Stop for lunch (not included in the tour price) and take advantage of some of the options available (for an additional fee).
You can take a 4x4 truck to a height of 2,800 meters, the maximum altitude that can be reached, to the astrophysical observatory, situated among old forests and extinct craters. You could opt to take the new chairlift up to 2,000 meters to see the lava fractures of 2002.
Alternatively you can stay near the station for a light trek on Monti Sartorius or browse the souvenir shops for local products.
- Hotel transfers by private 4WD vehicle
- Transport by air-conditioned 4WD vehicle
- Professional driver/guide
- Bottled water
What's Not Included
- Food and drink
- Chairlift or 4x4 truck tickets
- Personal expenses or services not specified
Know Before You Go
Please note the following:
• Weather can change dramatically. Wear clothing for optimum comfort, as well as comfortable walking shoes, and a hat. Be sure to bring sunglasses, binoculars, and a camera.
• Your travel route may be modified due to weather, road conditions, or for other reasons as necessary. The driver will have the final authority on altering any travel route.
• Travel is by 4WD vehicle, equipped with seat belts. Please note that roads may be bumpy.
• This tour is not recommended for pregnant women, for persons with back problems, heart conditions, or other serious medical issues, or for children under 4 years of age.
• Contact the operator 24-48 hours prior to departure to reconfirm your pick-up.
From 1 to 5 persons - 1 4x4 car
From 6 to 11 persons - 2 4x4 cars
From 12 to 15 persons - 3 4x4 cars