Visit Cardiff Castle and get access to the grounds of the Bute family’s fairytale fortress. Wander the grounds, climb the keep, and marvel at the décor of the Castle Apartments. Learn the story of the castle at the interactive Interpretation Centre.
What to Expect
Explore the fairytale fortress of Cardiff Castle, located in the city center and transformed by the Bute family into a romantic medieval fantasy.
Your entrance ticket provides access to the grounds, castle keep, and apartments, as well as the wartime shelters and battlement walks. Walk over the drawbridge, through the portcullis and leave the modern city behind in a visit that covers 2,000 years of history.
Start in the modern Interpretation Centre and view the interactive exhibition and state-of-the-art introductory film before picking up an audio guide and heading out on to the magnificent Battlement Walk.
Climb to the top of the Norman Keep and enjoy the panoramic views of the city, from Cardiff Bay to Castell Coch. Explore the Wartime Shelters, used during World War 2 as shelter from air raids.
Visit the Firing Line, Cardiff Castle’s Museum of the Welsh Soldier, and discover the story of Welsh soldiers over the last 300 years. Then, head for the main house and marvel at the spectacular interiors, designed by William Burges in the 19th century for the 3rd Marquess of Bute, who transformed the castle into a Victorian gothic fantasy.
- Entrance to Cardiff Castle
- Introductory film and exhibition
- Self-guided visit to a selection of lavishly decorated castle apartments
- Audio guide of the grounds and castle interior
- Battlement walks
- Norman keep
- Wartime shelters
- Children's activity area, including dressing up
- Firing Line - Cardiff Castle Museum of the Welsh Soldier
- Cafe and terrace with panoramic views
- Gift shop selling Welsh crafts and gifts
What's Not Included
- Guided tours of the castle (upgrade for a small additional fee)
- Special events or separately ticketed activities
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Cardiff Castle is open 7 days a week and only closes on 25 and 26 December and 1 January
• Opening times: March - October 09:00- 18:00 (last entry at 17:00), November - February 09:00 - 17:00 (last entry at 16:00)
• It is recommend that you allow at least 90 minutes to enjoy all aspects of your castle visit