Feel the raw energy of Cape Town's history in one unforgettable morning. Visit the oldest and newest townships, Langa and Khayelitsha, before an afternoon exploration of Robben Island, site of Mandela's 18-year imprisonment.
What to Expect
On this full day tour discover the 'real' Cape Town and its turbalent history with a stroll through the famous Langa Township. Langa is one of the oldest former apartheid suburbs and was the scene of much resistance during this terrible period of history. On the tour you'll pop in to a shebeen (a traditional pub), observe the difference in housing quality, and witness real progress being made in providing decent housing to the city's poorer communities, along with the restoration of the old single quarters. The tour then travels from Langa to the new kid on the block - Khayelitsha, the largest township in Western Cape. Here you'll discover how large scale developments abound, housing, schools, shopping malls, clinics, and many private organisations doing a marvellous job in providing social and other much needed services to the people in the community.
In the afternoon we make a visit to Robben Island. This is where Nelson Mandela spent 18 years of his 27 year imprisionment. Be prepared for a highly charged and emotional experience when you visit the site of this suffering, and realize how far South Africa has come from those days.
- Items mentioned on the itinerary only - guests to pay any extras direct
What's Not Included
- Any items of personal nature
- Any items not included on the above itinerary
- Drinks and meals
Know Before You Go
• Please keep in mind that the ferry to Robben Island is subject to weather conditions and availability
• In high season (December to March) the ferry to Robben Island may not depart straight after the Township tour. Every attempt will be made to book the 13:00 ferry ticket when available, but you may be asked to take the 15:00 or 17:00 ferry and make your way to the harbor in the afternoon.