If you’ve never tried white water rafting or are looking for an afternoon of excitement, head to the Barron River on this tour from Cairns. Experience an eco-adventure and ride through scenic Barron Gorge National Park on an 8-person inflatable raft.
What to Expect
Visit the Barron Gorge National Park, just 20 minutes from the center of Cairns, on a half-day rafting tour. The Barron River winds for 60 kilometers across the Atherton Tablelands through one of Australia’s highest rainforest belts, before entering the Barron Gorge.
This picturesque gorge is perfect for first time rafters, or those looking for a thrilling ride close to Cairns. Starting from a point below the power station you’ll raft past giant boulders that dwarf the rafts, heading down to the calm waters of Lake Placid.
The rapids on the Barron River are classified as grades 2-3, meaning that they are simple technical rapids that provide a great rafting experience for first-timers. Experience is not necessary! In fact most participants have never been rafting before.
Each raft holds a maximum of 7 passengers plus 1 river guide, who will ensure that you travel safely down the river. All guides are expertly trained by the internationally renowned safety company Rescue 3.
This activity is so safe that you don't even have to be able to swim! The rafts travel down the river together, traversing the rapids in a carefully planned sequence with guides providing cover from the river banks.
- About 2 hours of white water rafting
- Instruction (no previous experience necessary)
- All accommodation transfers
What's Not Included
- Rafting shoes (available to hire at AUD 5.00)
- On-board levy (AUD 30.00 per person)
- Photos (available for purchase)
- Merchandise (available for purchase)
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Minimum age for rafting is 13 years, and anyone under 18 must travel with a guardian or parent
• lace-up shoes or reef / teva sandals must be worn on the river. You can bring your own (these will get wet) or simply hire footwear on the day for AUD 5 a pair.
• Professional photos available for purchase after trip
• No previous rafting experience required
• Bring your swimsuit, a towel, a change of dry clothes, sunscreen, and money for souvenirs and drinks
• Also bring lace up shoes or reef sandals that can get wet (also available for rent at AUD 4.00)
• Remember that you won't be able to bring anything on board the raft other than yourself, but items such as bags, towels, clothes, etc. can be stored securely on the coach
• Rafting is not suitable for pregnant women
• An on-board levy of AUD 30.00 per person is required as an additional fee for insurance, land management agency fee, water release fees, transfer costs, GST, and administration charges (payable on the day of