From Budapest: Somló and Northern Balaton Wine Day Trip
Pickup includedCentral Budapest hotels
- Taste unusual wines, which you will almost surely taste nowhere else in the world.
- See the volcanic rock formations that are home to many rare plant and animal species
- Trek through the hills, passing many of the historic sights in this protected area
- Enjoy this distinctly un-touristy experience. The serene hill is practically untouched by tourist and full of small vineyards
This off-the-beaten-track tour is complete with a light hike and some additional sightseeing stops. Your tour guide will help you discover this magical region.
Your guide will meet you inside the lobby of your central Budapest hotel. Travel to the beautiful Somló and northern Lake Balaton areas, about 165 kilometers from Budapest and an approximate a two-hour drive in your air-conditioned minivan. Feel free to ask your guide to customise your itinerary to fit any personal preferences you have.
Admire the vine-covered landscapes, and during the course of the day visit three traditional and modern country wineries to gain a balanced picture of Somló's wines and how they are produced. Tour a vineyard to see the grapes close up. Expect to sample both traditional and contemporary wines, with the focus on unique Hungarian varieties like furmint, juhfark, harslevelu, and welschriesling.
Between wineries, enjoy some time trekking in the lovely vineyards. Around midday, savour a 3-course lunch at a local restaurant or at a winery. Venues and menus change regularly, but lunch typically includes staples such as broths, stews, roasts and traditional desserts.
At your last winery, complement your tastings with selected cured meat and artisanal cheese, both perfect accompaniments for your wine.
Then, return to Budapest where your private tour ends with a hotel drop-off.
- Pick-up and drop off, at around 8:00 PM, at your accommodation
- Travel in a smoke-free, air-conditioned private car or minivan
- Bottles of mineral water and light snacks for the car ride
- Up to three winery visits/tastings with generous tastings of 5 to 7 wines
- Three-course lunch of Hungarian staples at a local restaurant
- Private tour guide and driver
- Tasting sheets for you to take notes to keep for your memories/records
- A cold plate of a range local products including cheese and meats
- Additional admission tickets to museums or sights
- Food and drinks, unless specified
Prepare for the activity
• There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund