Experience a cherished tradition of the English monarchy on a small group tour of London. Watch the Changing of the Guards of the Queen’s Household Cavalry. Then, see the State Apartments of Buckingham Palace on a rare day it’s open to the public.
What to Expect
Take advantage of a rare opportunity to explore the State Apartments of Buckingham Palace, and experience one of the most historic ceremonies of the Royal Family in London.
Watch the Changing of the Guards in the company of a local guide, who will explain the history and pageantry behind the ceremony. Gasp at the precision skills of the Queen’s Foot Guards as they march to the sounds of a military band, or see the mounted Household Cavalry - resplendent on horseback - change guards at Horse Guards Parade.
Admire the lavish apartments and sparkling chandeliers of Buckingham Palace. See some of the greatest treasures from the Royal Collection, including exquisite Sèvres porcelain and some of the finest English and French furniture in the world. An official audio guide will be provided to tell the history of the sumptuous furnishings and ornaments, and to put it all into historical context.
- Entrance ticket and reservation fee to Buckingham Palace
- English-speaking guide
- Headsets (if needed) to hear your guide
What's Not Included
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
Meet by the Duke of York column on Waterloo Place, 9 Carlton Terrace, London SW1Y 5AJ. It's the tall column with a statue on top
Directions: Take the Underground to Piccadilly Circus. Take exit 3 to Regent Street/St James. Walk south down Regent Street towards St. James Park (do not walk towards Oxford Street). Waterloo Place is at the end of Regent Street. Alternatively, take the Undergroud to Charing Cross Station, and walk down the Mall towards Buckingham Palace. The statue is at the top of the stairs to your right after the Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA). (GPS Coordinates: 51.5063159-0.1317662000000155)
(Open in Google Maps)
Know Before You Go
• Photography is not permitted in Buckingham Palace, but is allowed in the gardens
• It is your responsibility to be at the meeting point 15 minutes before departure. Late arrivals cannot be accommodated and missed tours cannot be refunded
• This tour involves a fair amount of walking. Please wear comfortable shoes
• Regrettably, this tour is unable to accommodate guests in wheelchairs or with any impairments requiring special assistance. No strollers or baby carriages are allowed
• Please note that the Changing of the Guard does not take place in heavy rain. If cancelled, it will be replaced with an extended walking tour
• On occasional Sundays, the Changing of the Guards ceremony is rescheduled to the early morning. In the event this happens, the tour will not be able to feature this component
• This tour operates with a maximum 25 people