In Search of Dracula Full-Day Tour
From £71 per personBook now
Pick-up servicePick-up from your hotel in Bucharest
- Go to the real dracula's castle
- Find out more about Medieval Romania
- Explore the interesting area
- Visit Targoviste Royal Court, the former capital of Vlad the Impaler
- Climb the stairs that lead to the real fortress of Dracula
- Enjoy a nice panoramic view over Vidraru Dam
- Discover the religious life at Curtea de Arges Monastery
The oldest written document about Targoviste Royal Court dates back to 1396. In the 17th century, the Royal Court was set on fire at the orders of the Ottoman Empire and the capital of Wallachia moved to Bucharest. The next stop will be at Curtea de Arges, the former capital of Wallachia. The town`s strongholds were rebuilt in the 14th century. See its Princely Church and its frescoed interior which is one of the first examples of Romanian paintings. The Episcopal Church (the monastery) is a recreation of the original built in 1512 -1517 by prince Neagoe Basarab (rebuilt in 1875 - 1885).
Conclude the tour with a visit to Poenari Fortress. Standing on a cliff now in ruins - this is known as the real castle of Dracula (Vlad Tepes). To get to the top you must climb up its 1400 steps which takes approximately 30 minutes. Once you arrive to the top of the castle you will find that it is surprisingly small; one third has collapsed down the mountainside in 1888. Entering through a narrow wooden bridge, you will come across the crumbling remains of two towers within; the prism shaped one was Vlad`s ( Dracula`s) residential quarters. From here, according to legend, The Impaler`s wife flung herself out the window, declaring that is better this way than be captured by the Turks, who were besieging the castle. Legend has it that Vlad himself escaped over the mountains on horseback.
- Transport by car/minibus
- Parking fees
- English speaking guide/driver
- Meals (aproximately 10 EUR/person/meal)
- Entrance fees: Targoviste Royal Court, Curtea de Arges Monastery, Poienari Fortress
- Video and photo fees
Pick-up from your hotel in Bucharest. Please provide your hotel name and address.
Product ID: 47246