Find out about street art, fashion, emerging artists, hidden historical gems and the latest trends in this 3.5-hour walking tour.
What to Expect
This tour is centered around street art and urban culture. These forms of expression can’t make much sense to the traveler without context and history, however. Bucharest is a city of strong contrasts; a relatively young city with old mentalities right at the gates of the East and hopelessly influenced by the West but belonging to neither.
The tour will be a geographical one - carving a slice of the city in order to see its underbelly, check it at its seams, and try to understand the way its structured. It is also going to be a journey in time mixing the 19th century with the 20th and 21st century. Start with an indoor street-art exhibition, located inside a very Detroit style multi-story building. There you'll also get to visit the workshop of a famous local vintage bike brand, Pegas, and maybe try a few of them.
Afterwards, the path will lead you on a very special street: the location of the Street Delivery Festival, a symbolic gathering of civil society activists. One of their main missions is transforming the city into a better living space for humans, rather than cars. Another is to promote the street art movement in a country where it's still largely considered vandalism and lacking in value.
Exploring the neighborhoods and discover one of Bucharest's untouched areas where it feels as though time stood still and the golden days are back. Here is the prime place to showcase the history of the city and its urban development: from its humble beginnings as a collection of villages and slums, to the avant-garde architecture of the inter-war period.
Use the bus to switch from East to West and explore more spectacular street-art as well as the oldest park of the city and its very interesting surroundings. You will have the chance to visit Galateca along the way, a cutting-edge art gallery and a true show-case for Romanian contemporary art and design. Some beautiful summer gardens will provide well deserved breaks and fine refreshments.
- Street food snack
- Bus ticket
What's Not Included
- Food and drinks purchased at bars/cafes
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Please have a look at the cancellation policy: free up to 3 hours before the tour. No-show: 100% charge of the tour cost
• Bring comfortable shoes (the tour is 7 km long), sunscreen and something to cover your head, the sun can be intense in the summer.
• How much you spend on refreshments is entirely up to you! 15 EUR are suggested, although you may want to bring more for impulse purchases and souvenirs.
• There is a minimum of 2 participants for this tour. If no other booking is made for the date, you may be requested to buy the individual private option
• Special events/parties, exhibitions, flee-markets or any other happenings on the day itself will also be included.