Relive life behind the Iron Curtain and discover what Romania was like under Communism on a 3.5-hour guided tour of Bucharest. Visit important monuments from the days of the Communist era, hear stories about Nicolae Ceauşescu, and more.
What to Expect
Travel back in time on a half-day tour of Bucharest, once known as “Little Paris,” and discover what the city was like during the Communist era.
Meet your guide on Revolution Square for the start of a tour that takes you back 30 years, to when Romania was a Communist state and Bucharest a dark place to be. The era has left its mark on the city and you will discover some places with relevance to Bucharest under Communism.
Discover where the fight for liberation began on Revolution Square, before going to the city archives in a building that still bears the bullet marks of a bloody winter. Next, visit Constitution Square, site of the monumental Palace of the Parliament, the 2nd largest building in the world after the Pentagon.
Then, go to a neighborhood in the north of the city to see some typical examples of Socialist architecture. See one of famous Hunger Circles, and stop at the headquarters of the state owned Romanian Television (TVR). Hear how the energy saving program severely limited the channels output to 2 hours per day (between 20:00 and 22:00), and how most of the broadcasts were dedicated to the cult of Nicolae Ceauşescu and his wife Elena.
Explore the Primaverii neighborhood to see one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city. Check out the house where Ceausescu lived, along with the block of villas designated for his security guards and domestic servants. End your tour on Victory Square, home of the Victoria Palace headquarters of the Prime Minister of Romania and his cabinet.
What's Not Included
- Any food and drinks purchased at bars/cafés etc.
Know Before You Go
• Cancellations up to 3 hours before the tour are refunded in full. No shows and cancellations of less than 3 hours are not entitled to a refund and will be charged 100% of the tour cost
• Transportation throughout the tour is by medium size car
• There is a maximum of 2 participants for this tour
• Maximum group size: 4 persons
• How much you spend on refreshments is entirely up to you. EUR 15 is suggested, although you may want to bring more for impulse purchases and souvenirs