Hidden Berlin and Main Sites Walking Tour
- Take a fascinating walking tour through the history of Berlin, past all of the city's top sights
- Discover the hidden history of Berlin, with visits to secret sites
- Walk through the Brandenburg Gate and imagine the battle for the Reichstag
- Visit the Nazi Air Defence Ministry and the SS/Gestapo HQ
- Explore Prussian Berlin's baroque palaces
- Learn how Berlin has transformed itself into the capital of Germany
- See the grand new Government Quarter and the futuristic designs of Potsdamer Platz
- Hear how citizens of East Berlin attempted to escape illegally to West Berlin
- Walk along the death-strip and no-man's-land
Since the return of the German capital to Berlin nothing has stayed the same, and what has resulted is the largest construction effort in modern history! Berlin truly is a city at the crossroads of a turbulent past, while in the process of forging an optimistic future. As the New Europe gravitates back towards its center, Berlin prepares to play the role of gateway between the East and West – this time as a European metropolis.
Beginning your adventure in the heart of Cold War West Berlin's capitalist heart, visit the looming spire of the Memorial Church, before a stroll to the impressive Victory Column. This amazing spot marks the birthplace of the German nation. Follow the route of the Soviet attack up to the final battle ground of the Reichstag Parliament, now home to Norman Foster's majestic glass dome. Walk along the futuristically charged Government Quarter and Federal Chancellery before stepping into the East.
Pass over the line of the Death Strip to the exact location above Hitler's Bunker and under the Brandenburg Gate, the symbol of a reunited Berlin. Then, take a moment to reflect at the Memorial for the Murdered Jews of Europe, before walking through the intersection of Checkpoint Charlie.
The tour ends with an account of the momentous events that led to the fall of the Berlin Wall, while standing amidst the heart of the East German Government Quarter and the New Berlin. Get a glimpse into what it´s like living in the New Berlin, where East and West are no boundaries.
- Guided tour
- Tickets for public transportation (to reach the meeting point)
You can join the Insider Famous Walk at either their East or West meeting points. Just look for the friendly Insider guides and ticket sellers. Tours leave daily. Meeting point West: In front of McDonald's opposite the main entrance to Zoologischer Garten train station. Departure is at 10:00. Meeting point East: In front of 'AM to PM' bar/restaurant at Hackescher Markt train station. Departure is at 10:30.
• You can join the Insider Famous Walk at either their meeting point East or West
• From April 1st to October 31st there is also an afternoon tour, departing from the West meeting point at 13:30 and the East meeting point at 14:00
Product ID: 10874