Berlin Half-Day Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp TourProduct ID: 11033
- See the "Kapo's" residence
- Observe the original gun tower entrance and parade ground
- Visit the infirmary and pathology departments, used to carry out autopsies on prisoners who died, and to complete medical experiments
- Learn about the security systems of the Camp, which included electrified fences and watchtowers
- Observe the disturbing conditions in the Jewish and "forgers" barracks
- See the punishment cells, pit, execution area and gallows
- Visit the site of the camp brothel
- See the unsettling site of the crematorium and "Station Z"
- Learn about Russian Special Camp 1/7 post WW2, before the camp was dismantled in 1950
- Go to the "Green Monster" SS canteen
Built in the summer of 1936, Sachsenhausen initially facilitated the removal of "antisocial" elements of society, as Berlin hosted the spectacular Olympic Games. During the Third Reich more than 200,000 people were imprisoned here by the Nazis, of which some 50,000 were brutally murdered. Sachsenhausen differs to Auschwitz, which implemented the Nazi’s policy of racial genocide. Sachsenhausen victims were a mix of political opponents, and only later groups defined as racially or biologically inferior, mostly from the newly occupied territories of Nazi dominated Europe.
Hear stories of valor from the British Royal Marine Commandos that refused to have their will broken. Learn the fate of Stalin's son, where, as Hitler's personal prisoner, he was detained in isolation for 5 years before his execution. Explore the attempted use of death marches to murder remaining survivors before Soviet liberation. later, visit the punishment cells, execution grounds, crematorium, Pathology Laboratory, hospital, and the gruesome pit where victims were left to rot.
The tour also details life and death in Special Camp No. 1/7, as Sachsenhausen was to become under the Soviets. This special tour around a frightfully storied location of WWII history is harrowing, but it lends visitors an unparalleled insight into the reality of the Holocaust.
Some sites you may visit on this tour are:
• Death March Memorial
• Station Z
• Commandant's House
• Jewish Barracks
• Punishment Cells
• Pathology Laboratory
• Special Camp 1/7
• SS Training Camp
- Public transport day ticket. An ABC zone ticket for 1 day is necessary for this tour.
Meeting point West at 10:00 in front of McDonalds, outside main entrance to S+U Zoologischer Garten Train Station. Hardenbergplatz, 10623 Berlin. Meeting point EAST: 10:00 at 'Am to PM' bar/restaurant at S-Bahn Hackescher Markt Train Station exit Am Zwirngraben, 10178 Berlin (Open in Google Maps)
Product ID: 11033