Visit the Penedes wine region and rugged Montserrat mountain on a day tour from Barcelona. Taste cava at the Codorniu Winery and explore the world’s largest cellars. Marvel at the landscapes and views from Montserrat and visit the monastery and more.
What to Expect
Discover spectacular and diverse landscapes beyond Barcelona. The most stunning of all is Montserrat, with its rugged profile, ancient monastery, and holy shrine. To the south of Montserrat you’ll find the Penedes, a rough, dry region that boasts ideal conditions for producing wine.
This 6-hour tour combines a visit to the modernista Codorniu Winery in the Penedes with the mystical experience of Montserrat.
Your tour begins in the Codorniu Winery vineyards. See the largest underground cellars in the world, where the first bottle of Spanish sparkling wine was produced in 1872 by the traditional methode champenoise (used to produce French Champagne).
Follow the whole winemaking process from grape pressing to labeling the bottles. The visit to the vast cellars continues in a small electric train and ends with a wine tasting.
Next, you’ll head to the mountain of Montserrat, a massive rock of weird shapes and rounded peaks reaching over 4,000 feet high. The unique natural park features paths, stairs, caves, chapels, and hermitages scattered over the mountain. You’ll take in extraordinary landscapes and wonderful views on the picturesque drive along the Llobregat River and up the mountain.
The visit to Montserrat will coincide with the timing of the midday concert by the Boys’ Choir (when available). Your guide will provide an orientation to the main places of interest, including the monastery, basilica, and museum, as well as the bars, restaurants, shops, and market. Then you’ll have time to explore on your own.
- English-speaking guide
- Admission to Codorniu Winery
- Wine tasting
- Transportation in comfortable air-conditioned buses
What's Not Included
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
The meeting point is Plaça de Catalunya, across from the tourist office, in front of Deutsche Bank and Hotel Olivia Plaza. Look for the guide with the orange umbrella.
(Open in Google Maps)
Know Before You Go
• Please note, wear warm clothing for Montserrat as it’s colder than in the city
• You must be silent inside the church so your guide will provide explanations outside and then show you inside
• Tour departs at 08:30
• Unfortunately, this tour is not wheelchair accessible
• Cancelation policy: up to 24-hours before tour start time, you can change the day or cancel the tour entirely. In the case of cancelations less than 24-hours before the tour, 100% of the fee will be charged