Catalonia: La Patum de Berga Festival Like a Local
From £91 per personBook now
- Take part in the lively Patum de Berga festival
- See the symbolic devils, demons, and other bizarre looking creatures
- Enjoy a walking tour of the walled town of Berga
- Get a privileged position to watch the processions and dances
- Marvel at the daredevil pyrotechnics
- Experience a unique Catalan fiesta
Depart Barcelona at 18:00, traveling by comfortable air-conditioned vehicle. Upon arrival in Berga, explore the walled town with a local guide. See the remains of the defenses, learn how Berga was almost completely destroyed during the War of the Reapers (Guerra dels Segadors), and how it became a focus of activity during the Carlist Wars.
After about an hour, the sun will have set and the celebrations of La Patum will be ready to start! La Patum’s origins can be traced back to the theatrical plays performed during the Corpus processions seeking to educate, moralize, and enlighten the population to the Holy Scriptures.
Over time the plays have shed their original meaning and altered their appearance so that only the most festive parts remain. You will get to see all the dances and commotion from a privileged place, so that you don’t miss a single detail. The more adventurous can even join the locals and dance between the crowds of symbolic figures and fire.
Your guide will attempt to explain the symbolism of the various devils, moors, angels, giants, and dwarves, as well as describe the deep-rooted traditions of a unique Catalan fiesta (although much of the precise detail has been lost to time).
Transfer back to Barcelona at the end of all the spectacles, arriving some time after midnight.
- Transportation by air-conditioned minivan
- Tour of the small village of Berga
- Skip-the-line access to privileged viewing points
- Souvenir picture with the giants and figures
- Fire protective clothing
- Native guide that speaks Catalan, Spanish, or English
- Hotel drop off
- Hotel pick-up
- Meals (good places to eat can be recommended)
The meeting point is at Plaça Ossa Menor (in the Glories Shopping center), which is easily accessible from the entrance located on Diagonal Avenue. Meet your guide next to McDonalds.
• This tour is available in English, Spanish, and Catalan
• Please arrive at the meeting point 15 minutes before departure
• There will be time off the bus at leisure, so please wear suitable clothing and footwear. Long trousers and closed shoes must be worn, as these will not be provided
• This tour is not wheelchair accessible
• The tour is not recommended for children aged 14 or under
• No refunds are available once a tour or service has commenced. For cancellations of up to 3 calendar days before scheduled start time, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel 2 calendar days or less before the tour, you will be charged a 100% cancellation fee
• All return times are approximate
• This tour operates with a maximum of 12 participants for a more personalized service
Product ID: 43744