Brunei Proboscis Monkey River Safari: Shore ExcursionProduct ID: 53972
From £148 per personBook now
- Glide along the river on a wooden open deck boat
- Spot Brunei's exotic wildlife on a river safari through the mangroves
- Admire the famed Proboscis monkeys, unique to this part of the world
- Glimpse two sides of Brunei: traditional water villages and modern development
- Marvel at Istana Nurul Iman (the palace of the Sultan of Brunei) from the water
After picking you up from port, the Brunei river tour starts at the boat jetty in the heart of Bandar Seri Begawan, where you'll board an open deck wooden boat and cruise along the river sightseeing from the water level.
As you float along, you'll get a view of two different worlds: on one side you'll see the modern developing capital city of Brunei, and on the other the traditional water village, the biggest of its kind in the world.
Your Brunei tour will also pass the biggest residential palace in the world, Istana Nurul Iman. With an staggering 1,788 rooms, the palace is the official residence of His Majesty, The Sultan of Brunei, and a favourite Brunei tourism highlight.
After passing the Royal Palace, continue your wildlife tour in Brunei as you cruise slowly under the mangrove trees and get a close up look at the marine life that lives here. See mudskippers, monitor lizards, and with luck spot blue-throated or red kingfishers. The white egret and night heron are also common sights in the mangroves.
Keep an eye out for the rare, endangered Proboscis monkey, which usually comes to the water in the early morning and evening, and can provide some perfect Borneo wildlife travel pictures! The monkeys are very distinctive with their odd, brightly coloured nose, and can only be found on the islands of Borneo and Sumatra in Indonesia. Hopefully you will see at least five to ten families of around 20 monkeys each.
After a visit with the Proboscis monkeys, head back to the jetty in Bandar Seri Begawan and be transfered back to the port in Brunei.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Water taxi fee
- Transportation to and from Muara Cruise Terminal
- Tips / gratuities for the driver and guide.
Muara Cruise Terminal, at the exit point of the ship. Your guide will be holding a signboard with the Urban Adventures logo and leader/agent name. Starting time: 7.15 AM-7.45 AM (Open in Google Maps)
• Closure of sites: During Hari Raya (Aidilfitri), which dates change every year according to the Muslim Calendars there are only a few stalls run by non-Muslims opened
• Child Policy: Children must be 6 years of age to 11 years inclusively
Product ID: 53972