Hike around Furnas Lake and learn about the environmental project to fight the lake's eutrophication. See the volcanic hot springs in the most active volcano of the Azores. Enjoy a thermal bath to relax your muscles after the walk!
What to Expect
Hike alongside Furnas lake, surrounded by the majestic inner walls of the volcano crater. Get to the top of the crater and enjoy tremendous views across the entire Furnas valley, including the lake and Furnas town.
Learn about a very interesting environmental project to fight the eutrophication of Furnas lake, while walking among the new forests that replaced previous farms harmful to the lake.
Then discover a field of volcanic hotsprings and learn how locals cook traditional food in the warm soil. The day ends perfectly with a hot bath at the thermal pools, to relax your muscles after the hike. This is a highly educative hike, where you’ll learn about the endemic flora, local culture and environmental iniciatives in the Azores.
- Pick-up/drop-off in Ponta Delgada
- Transportation to/from hiking trail
- Hiking guide
- Picnic lunch
What's Not Included
- Thermal bath entrance fee
Know Before You Go
• Difficulty Level: Medium
• Length: 11km
• Hiking duration: 5-6h
• Good health and fitness condition required
• Not suitable for children under 12 years old
Necessary items to bring:
• Backpack to carry your picnic, water and items
• Sturdy hiking shoes
• Waterproof raincoat for rainy days
• Warm clothes (altitude points may be cold and windy)
• Sun protection (hat, sunscreen and sunglasses)