Explore the historic sites of Auckland’s North Head on a 2-hour Segway tour, and see the 1880s Military Fort. Walk through the tunnels and bunkers to the Disappearing Gun, get spectacular views of the village and beaches, and tour Victoria village.
What to Expect
Segway around Auckland’s North Head and see historic sites such as Elizabeth House, the Devonport waterfront, and the late 19th-century Military Fort.
After a brief practice session on the self-balancing Segways, follow your guide past Elizabeth House and the Wrenery, learning the history of the sites during World War II up to the present day. Hear about "The Hanging Tree," where Joseph Burns was executed in 1848, and the Devonport Yacht Club, founded in 1905.
Pass the original hub of Devonport at Duders Bay, where the controversial late 19th-century Masonic Tavern still stands. Continue along the Devonport waterfront, riding your Segway past the Navy Museum at Torpedo Bay to the top of the volcanic cone of North Head. Walk through the bunkers and tunnels to the "Disappearing Gun," installed due to the Russian scare of the 1880s.
Back on your Segway, ride through back streets to Cheltenham Beach, and admire the beautifully restored Victorian Villas. Continue through Mt. Cambria Reserve en route back to the Devonport Ferry Terminal and the end of your tour.
- Segway personal transporter
- Experienced guide and Segway rider
- Scarves (if needed)
Know Before You Go
• The route and extent of tour is at the discretion of the tour guide
• Cancellations are made in extreme weather conditions only
• Segway tours are suitable for those fit and agile enough to climb stairs unaided, 13 years of age or over, and between 100 and 265 pounds (45-120 kilograms)