Explore Athens through its food culture and visit the bustling Central Market to sample typical produce, such as olives, feta cheese, Greek desserts and ouzo. Experience the modern Athenian way of life as you pass historic monuments.
What to Expect
Sample one of the world’s best cuisines on a 2.5-hour food tour of Athens. Departing from City Hall on Kotzia Square, admire the 18th century Neo-Classical architecture, including the headquarters of the National Bank of Greece, before walking to Central Market.
Arrive at an atmosphere abuzz with local merchants, who come to display their fresh food and local produce. An expert guide will lead you to places where few tourists ever venture, exploring a vast range of Greek specialties, from simple koulouri (a round sesame bread), to salty feta cheese, olives, and other delicacies. Stop for a hot Greek coffee in winter, or a cold frappé on warmer days. Drop by a Greek deli and sample delicious fare, such as local honey, while getting an explanation about what’s in season and and its uses in Greek cooking.
After your tasty tour, stroll to Monastiraki Square, where you will be ideally placed to spend the rest of the day visiting the ancient ruins of the Acropolis, and to explore the lively streets of the Plaka neighborhood.
- Tastings of Greek sweets, koulouri, olive oil, olives, cheeses, rusks, Greek alcohol (wine, ouzo), spices, herbs, and traditional meze
- Visits to markets, Kotzia Square, Avyssinias Square, Monastiraki Square, Athena's Road, churches, and a traditional deli
What's Not Included
- Tips for your guide
- Additional food or drink not mentioned above
- Items of a personal nature
Know Before You Go
• Child must be 6-11 years old inclusive. Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour