Explore the mysterious temples of the Khmer Empire on a full-day tour of Banteay Srey and Beng Mealea from Siem Reap. See intricate bas reliefs and more. Learn about sugar palm production at a local village, and watch a traditional Apsara dance.
What to Expect
Discover two of the most unique temples of the Angkor complex on a full-day tour of Bantaey Srey and Beng Mealea, and learn more about the ancient Khmer kingdom and rulers.
Following a hotel pick-up in Siem Reap at approximately 08:00, drive to Banteay Srey near the hill of Phnom Dei. Located about 16 miles (25 kilometers) from the main Angkor complex, Banteay Srey once belonged to the medieval capitals of Yasodharapura and Angkor Thom, and is considered a jewel of Khmer art. Admire the carvings in the temple’s red sandstone walls, and see ornate pediments that depict Khmer myths and legends.
En route, you will pass local villages where, time permitting, you can stop to learn about everyday life and how sugar is produced from the sugar palms.
After lunch at a local restaurant, continue your tour at Beng Mealea, situated 24 miles (40 kilometers) east of the main Angkor complex. Built as a Hindu temple in the early 12th century, Beng Mealea actually preceded Angkor Wat and is thought to have provided the prototype for the later capital. Shrouded in a tangle of fig tree roots and jungle, it’s a quintessential Angkor experience, but with fewer bas reliefs than Angkor Wat.
Return to Siem Reap for a buffet dinner, and enjoy a traditional Apsara Dance show. Marvel at the graceful poise, and the ornamental costumes of the dancers as you dine.
- Pick-up and drop off at hotels in Siem Reap
- Transportation with driver
- English-speaking guide
- Drinking water and cool towels
What's Not Included
- Tips and personal expenses
- Food and drink
- Buffet dinner with the Apsara Dance Show
- Any other service not mentioned in the program
Know Before You Go
• Cancellation policy: no show - 100% charge; cancellation 1 week to 1 day before tour - 50% charge; 2-1 week before tour - 30% of tour price; 3-2 weeks before tour - 10 % of tour price; 4 weeks or more - no charge