Turnagain Arm Full-Day Sightseeing Tour from Anchorage
From £163 per personBook now
- Discover Alaskan wildlife in a natural, safe setting at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center
- Cruise Portage Glacier
- Enjoy a side trip into Chugach Mountains on the Anchorage hillside for incredible panoramic views
- Drive the Seward Highway, one of America's scenic by-ways
- Enjoy stories and local knowledge from friendly Alaskan guides
- Ride in comfortable, well-maintained vehicles with panoramic windows
Start with a scenic drive along the Seward Highway down the Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet, one of the most beautiful places on earth. You will stop in the most picturesque places for photo opportunities and to look out for Dall sheep and Beluga whales.
Drive to Portage Glacier for a 1-hour boat trip on board the MV Ptarmigan. The vessel was built especially for the lake and the ride, even in inclement weather, is smooth.
A National Park Service Ranger will come on board to explain the local eco-systems and glaciology. Hear how the mountains were pushed up from Oregon!
On the way down the valley, pause to watch the salmon run in season. The salmon spawn in clear water in the same place they were born in order to start their life cycle all over again. They come back from the ocean after 4 to 6 years depending on the species.
When the salmon are at their highest numbers, Beluga whale chase. Depending on the whim of the whales, you might see them from late July through mid-August.
Next you will visit the remarkable Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. In summer, baby musk ox, bison, caribou, and moose will warm the heart of the toughest of men. You will have the opportunity to watch and hear the stories of endangered wood bison, Alaskan brown bear, black bear, moose, caribou/reindeer, lynx, an eagle, great horned owl, and even a porcupine.
On your way back enjoy a side trip high into the Chugach Mountains through local neighborhoods for incredible panoramic views of four mountain ranges including Mt. McKinley (weather permitting), Cook Inlet and the city. Learn about local life high above Anchorage on what locals call "the hillside".
Lunch will be at a local lodge after the Portage Glacier Cruise (not included in price).
Your expert Alaskan guide will be on hand at all times to describe the phenomenal nature and ecological systems.
- All entry fees
Pick-up at any Anchorage hotel location. (Please note pick-up is not available from the Springhill Suites University Lake location). There is no pick-up service from AirBnB or Anchorage B&B locations. If you are staying at a one of these locations, your pick up will be 10:00-10:15am at the Visitors Center on F St. between 4th & 5th Avenue. It is still necessary to contact the tour operator at least 24 hours in advance for pick-up or you will be considered a no-show for the tour (Open in Google Maps)
• There is no pick-up service from AirBnB or Anchorage B&B locations. If you are staying at a one of these locations, your pick up will be 10:00-10:15am at the Visitors Center on F St. between 4th & 5th Avenue. It is still necessary to contact the tour operator at least 24 hours in advance for pick-up or you will be considered a no-show for the tour
Product ID: 21027